Title: Smart Data Manager
Reporting to: Smart Operations Manager
No of Reports: None
Salary: £35,000 - £50,000 (Dependent on experience)
Location: Bristol (City Centre)
About Bristol Energy
Bristol Energy is a national gas and electricity company that is challenging the norm. Built on strong values of fairness and accountability, we believe in using our energy as a force for social good.
We have big ambitions and are looking for people with the skills, determination and passion to build on our success. If you’ve got the relevant experience and are driven to make a difference, we’d love to hear from you.
Smart metering and the Connected Home is a fundamental aspect of Bristol Energy’s Strategy. We already support over 5,000 smart customer meter points, both inherited and installed ourselves. By the end of 2018 we will have put in place the required contracts, partners and processes for greatly increasing the scale of the roll-out. Smart metering will entail a step-change in the way we interact with our customers and how we manage our systems and processes. It will also enable us, through partnerships and data analytics to develop useful services for our customers, offering bespoke insight while allowing us to understand our customers better than ever before.
About the role
The Smart Data Manager will play a key role in Bristol energy’s Smart metering and connected home efforts. You will be responsible for ensuring all data related to Smart meters are robust, manageable and efficient. Although not an exhaustive list, these duties will include:
- Developing and operating the Firmware management process for installed technology (ensuring the standards of firmware are appropriate and inter-compatible);
- Developing and operating the meter alert management process and putting in appropriate resolutions where applicable;
- Work with suppliers & internal teams to ensure consumption data from meters is flowing reliably throughout various 3rd party systems and is used effectively within Bristol Energy.
- Engaging with appropriate manufacturers to understand firmware releases, alert logic and aid in root cause understanding of all change effects.
- Acting as the interface between relevant departments to ensure data & hardware forecasting is accurate and fit for purpose – including managing the exchange and provision of data between all relevant parties
- Provide technical support to system integration activities
- Working as the primary POC with IT to ensure associated system interfaces are operable; providing input into their Change Board as required;
- Developing / providing requirements for new data flows as connected home technology and smart products develop (e.g. for settlement of Time of Use tariffs);
- Developing and managing a suite of smart data reports to feed performance and insight into Bristol Energy’s smart metering and connected home strategy.
- Appropriately identify meter / IHD / CAD firmware requirements and priorities for installed meter base, and ensure updates are handled successfully.
- Develop requirements for new data flows as connected home technology and smart products progress (e.g. for settlement of Time of Use tariffs).
- Analysis of roll-out data to drive process improvements.
- Report on our smart meter roll-out to Ofgem and other industry bodies.
- Provide general support to the Smart Metering team as required.
The Smart Data Manager will display aptitude for process efficiency, data analysis and problem-solving, but also the ability to liaise between various parties to achieve successful outcomes and an efficient operation.
Knowledge, skills and experience
You must have:
- Educated to degree level or equivalent
- Proven track record of successfully working in a similar role
- Experience working with complex data architectures across multiple parties and ensuring continued operational data flow
- Smart metering experience, ideally including SMETS 2
- Experience working with software / firmware management including Change control
- Proficient in using Microsoft Office programs, including Excel, Word and PowerPoint
- Have experience of modelling with Excel, VBA, SQL or similar
- Experience of presenting data to stakeholders
- Conscientious and have a good attention to detail
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to build strong working relationships with all stakeholders
- Strong numerical and analytical skills
- A willingness to roll up your sleeves and get stuck in
- Ability to demonstrate logical decision making
- Ability to produce accurate work under tight deadlines
- Ability to pick up new ideas quickly and apply them in your day to day work
You will ideally have:
- Operational experience - ideally within the utilities industry
- Experience of using a range of analytical techniques
- An understanding of forecasting / predictive techniques
Due to the sensitive nature of this role any offer of employment will be subject to the following checks;
- Completion of a BS7858 security check
- Signing of a non-disclosure agreement
- Confirmation that you have not been employed by the Smart DCC (Data Communications Company) within 6 months of your application for the role
Please submit your CV with a short covering letter to [email protected] with the job title in the subject field.