Reporting to: Finance Director
No of Reports: 3-5
Salary: £65,000 - £75,000 (Depending on Experience)
Location: Bristol (City Centre)
About the role – purpose
Bristol Energy is a national gas and electricity company that is challenging the norm. Built on strong values of fairness and accountability, we believe in using our energy as a force for social good. We are growing rapidly in an industry that is experiencing unprecedented levels of change and innovation.
We have big ambitions and are looking for people with the skills, determination and passion to build on our success. If you’ve got the relevant experience and are driven to make a difference, we’d love to hear from you.
The Finance team has a vital role in both the life of our customers and the success of our business; they assist in formulating all the financial targets and budgets for each part of our business and maintain control on all transactions and accountancy issues, as well as ensuring financial compliance.
The team has a responsibility for delivering all accountancy and ensuring that the company is compliant with regulatory bodies. It manages billing and payments and provide oversight of the annual accounts. Corporate finance responsibilities include managing policies around debt, taxation, equity, capital and acquisitions.
As Head of Finance you will be responsible for managing the day to day financial operations of the company as well as assisting the Finance Director with providing strategic direction and running the key financial processes across the organisation. You will directly manage the finance team and internal financial relationships allowing the Finance Director to manage Executive and external stakeholder relations. Your role will include managing the provision of information on all day-to-day financial matters, production of management accounts, and reports for the shareholders. You will also be responsible for managing the team, building and maintaining morale and development, adhering to good working practices and management including recruitment, coaching, mentoring, within the finance team and across the company ensuring that the work place is a productive and positive experience for staff thereby assisting in their retention and growth.
About the role – accountabilities
This position will be exciting, fast-paced and varied – so you will need to be able to turn your hand to a number of activities. Although not an exhaustive list, these duties will include:
- Overseeing the production of insightful, accurate and timely monthly management information, including Board pack, management accounts, cash flow forecasts and business support.
- Leading the business planning and forecasting processes, working across the business to ensure a robust and challenging budget is set;
- Supporting the business by providing timely and insightful management information and analysis on the business’ costs, cashflows and working capital, to ensure efficient and appropriate operations.
- Ensuring robust financial processes and controls are in place, and adherence to relevant authority levels, processes, etc;
- Ensuring continuous improvement, automation and simplification of financial processes
- Ensuring ongoing communication between finance, HR, IT and the business, of financial performance, delivery and challenges
- Preparing and delivering reports to the Audit and Risk Committee
- Supporting the risk management and monitoring process, and ensuring clear and coherent reporting thereon
- Manage cash flow, funding and trading collateral requirements, in line with approved budgets and funding levels
- Managing and overseeing the development of the finance IT system
- Working with the business to develop business cases and rationale for projects and improvements
- Managing the payroll, purchase ledger and transaction processing function
- Responsible for the annual audit, all HMRC returns, reviewing industry
- Managing and monitoring compliance with VAT, employee related and other taxes.
- Leading, motivating and guiding the Finance team to provide a best-in class service for the business.
About you – Knowledge, skills and experience
You must have:
- ACA / CIMA / ACCA qualification with 5+ experience in senior financial management roles
- Extensive knowledge of strategic and operational finance functions and activities
- Outstanding financial control and management skills, and a drive to ensure diligence, compliance, and accuracy across the finance function
- Desire to drive continuous improvement and efficiency in all areas of the finance function
- Proven ability to deliver companywide processes and challenge, e.g. budget, forecast, analysis and compliance
- A curiosity to learn about the business and improve the performance and outcomes for the organisation
- Experience of working with and influencing senior management
- Able to apply analytical skills beyond the traditional functions of finance and bring them to bear on a broad range of commercial issues
- Advanced excel and finance systems skills
- Strong team development and management skills, mentoring and coaching experience and a motivational approach when dealing with colleagues.
You will ideally have:
- Energy and/or utilities experience
- Project management experience
- Experience of SQL / Excel Programming
- Experience of Sage 200 accounting system
Please submit your CV with a short covering letter to email@example.com with the job title in the subject field.
Date posted: 5/2/18