Reporting to: FP&A Manager
Salary: £35,000 - £45,000 (Depending on Experience)
Hours: 37.5 per week
Location: Bristol (City Centre)
About the role
Bristol Energy is a national gas and electricity company that is challenging the norm. Built on strong values of fairness and accountability, we believe in using our energy as a force for social good.
We have big ambitions and are looking for people with the skills, determination and passion to build on our success. If you’ve got the relevant experience and are driven to make a difference, we’d love to hear from you.
The Finance team has a vital role in both the life of our customers and the success of our business; they assist in formulating all the financial targets and budgets for each part of our business and maintain control on all transactions and accountancy issues, as well as ensuring financial compliance.
The team has a responsibility for delivering all finance processes, reporting and analysis. We are looking to ensure we partner with the business and supporting the wider understanding of our financial performance, driving efficiency and commerciality, whilst growing the business and moving to scale. Corporate finance responsibilities include managing policies around debt, taxation, equity, capital and acquisitions.
To meet these objectives, we are responsible for providing accurate, timely and insightful information to support commercial decision making, to monitor and understand our financial performance and to identify opportunities for us to improve that performance. We’re looking for smart, talented people who share our values to join us.
This is a newly created role that will become an integral part of the small but effective Finance function. As a challenger energy brand, we are looking to grow to scale and deliver a return to our shareholder (Bristol City Council) and community. The gross margin of an energy business is at the heart of driving its profitability and success, and requires an understanding of the customer base, customer churn and consumption, energy and commodity costs and other key drivers of the energy markets. We have challenging and ambitious targets and this role will be central to the understanding and evaluation of our gross margin performance, commercial decision making and development of the business. We are looking for someone with a deep commercial curiosity and interest in driving the business forward.
You will be working closely with the business, focusing on the delivery of our gross margin reporting, analysis and insight. The role will be responsible for understanding, reporting and forecasting both the retail and business segments’ performance, and supporting the sales and trading teams ensure that they have a clear understanding of financial outturn and the implications for future performance. The role requires partnering with the business to support and challenge them in ensuring we operate efficiently and effectively, closely monitoring the underlying drivers of the energy business, be that wholesale markets, customer growth, or pricing and in financially evaluating opportunities and risks associated with commercial decision making.
About the role – accountabilities
This position will be exciting, fast-paced and varied – so you will need to be able to turn your hand to a number of activities. Although not an exhaustive list, these duties will include:
- Support the FP&A Manager in preparing and challenging regular budgets and reforecasts.
- Measure and understand business performance and sales targets and support commercial decision making.
- Prepare robust financial analysis to challenge business performance and assess key business risks.
- Proactively work with stakeholders in the wider business (including Trading, Sales, and Industry Operations etc.) to ensure targets are met, modelling assumptions are accurate, and variances are well understood.
- Work to develop an effective feedback loop of information between Finance and the wider business
- Working with the wider finance team to ensure accurate and timely accounting for revenue and cost of sales, including cash flow impact. Working to improve the efficiency and automation of reporting, to allow for greater insight and analysis.
- Understanding and challenging data sources and assumptions to ensure the numbers as presented are robust and supportable.
- Prepare analysis, develop understanding and communicate variances to actuals. Develop an understanding of complex information to provide clarity and insight.
- Communicating accurately, clearly and with appropriate regard to audience, which will include the Executive, Board and Shareholder.
- Ad hoc reporting as required. Ad hoc analysis or modelling to support the Executive and Management to develop strategy, understand risks, identify areas of underperformance, or understand and assess business opportunities.
About you – Knowledge, skills and experience
You must have:
- Qualified accountant (ACA/ACCA/CIMA or equivalent) with experience outside of practice
- Educated to degree level, preferably in a numerate or analytical discipline
- An energetic and inquisitive mind looking for a challenge; the ability to seek out and explain insights
- Experience in using, developing and maintaining large data sets and/or complex financial models, and building creative solutions to problems
- Experience in financial accounting, reporting and analysis
- Experience working in a highly analytical/commercial role and in partnering with the business to analyse performance and drive the business
- Strong technical skills- advanced Excel, VBA, SQL/SAS is a benefit
- Ability to work well in a team or unsupervised is essential
- Able to focus on detail but also to understand the wider commercial picture
- Capable of determining priorities from conflicting work demands
- Can confidently articulate and communicate complex issues to internal stakeholders across the business
- Strong team skills, willing to work in a collegiate, balanced manner to build trust and support colleagues
- Ability to work accurately and at pace with the drive and imagination to continually improve business processes, seeking to propose, justify and implement changes to automate and systematise wherever possible.
You will ideally have:
- Have a good understanding, and preferably experience, of the energy or telecoms/utility/retail banking markets
- Advanced modelling skills: knowledge and hands-on experience of best practice design and construction of complex financial models.
- Some basic programming experience, e.g. SQL or VBA, and experience of maintaining established databases would be helpful, as would experience using Business Intelligence and Analytics tools.
Please submit your CV with a short covering letter to email@example.com with the job title in the subject field.
Date posted: 5/2/18