Reporting to: Finance Director
No of Reports: 0
Salary: £35,000 - £45,000 DOE
Hours: 37.5 per week
Location: Bristol (City Centre)
About the role – Purpose
Bristol Energy is a national gas and electricity company that is challenging the norm. Built on strong values of fairness and accountability, we believe in using our energy as a force for social good.
We have big ambitions and are looking for people with the skills, determination and passion to build on our success. If you’ve got the relevant experience and are driven to make a difference, we’d love to hear from you.
The Finance team has a vital role in both the life of our customers and the success of our business; they assist in formulating all the financial targets and budgets for each part of our business and maintain control on all transactions and accountancy issues, as well as ensuring financial compliance.
The team has a responsibility for delivering all finance processes, reporting and analysis, and ensuring that the company is compliant with regulatory and reporting requirements. Corporate finance responsibilities include managing policies around debt, taxation, equity, capital and acquisitions.
To meet these objectives, we are responsible for providing accurate, timely and insightful information to support commercial decision making, to monitor and understand our financial performance and to identify opportunities for us to improve that performance. We’re looking for smart, talented people who share our values to join us.
This is a newly created role in response to our growing business, and will become an integral part of the small but effective Finance function.
Going beyond a traditional management accountancy role, you will have the opportunity to work closely with the business, focusing on the Sales and Operations teams, to report and analyse the cost base, understand and forecast business performance, and identify and communicate commercial risks and opportunities. The role is focused on partnering with the business to support and challenge them in ensuring we operate efficiently and effectively, closely monitoring costs and resourcing.
About the role – Accountabilities
This position will be exciting, fast-paced and varied – so you will need to be able to turn your hand to a number of activities. Although not an exhaustive list, these duties will include:
- Support the Head of Finance and wider team in preparing and challenging results, forecasts and budgets.
- Measure and understand business performance and sales targets in order to support resourcing decision making. Prepare robust financial analysis to challenge business performance and assess key business risks.
- Proactively work with appropriate stakeholders in the wider business to ensure targets are met, modelling assumptions are accurate, and variances are well understood. Work to develop an effective feedback loop of information between Finance and the wider business.
- Accurate and timely accounting for relevant cost centres, including cash flow impact. Understanding and challenging data sources and assumptions to ensure the numbers as presented are robust and supportable.
- Work with the Finance team to make sure regular reporting is accurate, complete and on time. Prepare analysis, develop understanding and communicate variances to actuals. Develop an understanding of complex information to provide clarity and insight.
- Continuous improvement of Finance processes and reporting.
- Identifying, scoping and delivering projects to improve efficiency and effectiveness of the finance organization and ensure clear, accurate and insightful reporting.
- Communicating accurately, clearly and with appropriate regard to different audiences, which will include the Executive, Board and Shareholder.
- Ad hoc reporting as required. Ad hoc analysis or modelling to support the Executive and Management to develop strategy, understand risks, identify areas of underperformance, or understand and assess business opportunities.
- Line management of a junior accountant, supporting and encouraging their development towards qualification.Willingness to get involved in the wider team, to ensure that as a growing finance function we are operating effectively and cohesively, in the best interests of the wider organization.
About you – Knowledge, Experience & Skills
- You will be a fully qualified accountant (ACCA/CIMA/ACA or equivalent) with at least two years relevant experience, at least some of which would be outside of practice.
- Be educated to degree level.
- You will be a credible and confident communicator at all levels, preferably with experience of a finance business partnering role in a fast-growing organization. You will have strong presentation, relationship-building and negotiation skills with non-finance colleagues.
- You will have a high degree of intellectual curiosity and thrive on understanding data, seeking patterns and insights and questioning assumptions. Your mindset will be analytical with the ability to use and develop financial models, work with uncertainty and build creative solutions to problems. You should be diligent with a preference for attention to detail, and be willing to dig and investigate at depth to resolve problems.
- You will have experience of managing trainee accountants, mentoring and supporting their development.
- You will have the drive and imagination to continually improve business processes, seeking to propose, justify and implement changes to automate wherever possible.
- You will have advanced Excel skills that you have used to underpin automated, effective and efficient reporting, forecasting and analysis.
- You will have the ability to focus on detail, but also to understand the wider commercial picture.
You will ideally have:
- Have some programming experience, e.g. SQL or VBA
- Have experience of working in the Energy or Utilities sector.
Please submit your CV with a short covering letter to email@example.com with the job title in the subject field.
Date posted: 01/02/2018