Frequently Asked Questions

If there’s a power cut, or any problem with the cables supplying electricity to your property, you’ll need to get in touch with your District Network Operator (DNO) on 105.

Before you do phone, it’s worth checking a few things:

  • Check your trip switch to make sure you don’t have a fault with your wiring or an appliance.
  • See if your neighbours have been affected. If they are, it’s likely there’s a problem with the local network. This means you’ll need to contact your DNO.

It’s advisable to follow the following safety advice:

  • Do not use your gas cooker for heating, as it can release dangerous fumes.
  • Keep the freezer door closed- it will stay cold for up to 24 hours.
  • Turn off electrical appliances…
  • …but keep one light switched on so you know when the power comes back!
  • Feel free to use a small number of candles if you need light – but be very careful.

If you’re worried about a Carbon Monoxide leak, you should leave your house immediately and phone the Gas Emergency number as soon as possible: 0800 111 999

There are over 400 hospital admissions in the UK every year due to Carbon Monoxide poisoning, and as it’s an odourless gas it can be difficult to detect. It’s possible to purchase Carbon Monoxide detectors/alarms, but any of the following could also indicate the presence of Carbon Monoxide:

  • Staining, discolouration or soot around your gas boiler, fire, or water heater
  • Pilot lights and other gas flames burning orange or yellow instead of blue

The following are possible symptoms of Carbon Monoxide poisoning:

  • Unexplained headaches
  • Dizziness and nausea
  • Vomiting
  • Tiredness and confusion
  • Stomach pain
  • Shortness of breath and difficulty breathing

If you smell gas or suspect a serious fault with your gas meter, you should phone the Gas Emergency phone number as soon as possible: 0800 111 999.

If you can smell gas, or think you have a gas leak:

  • DO open windows and doors (if it’s safe to do so)
  • DO inform neighbours
  • DO leave the house
  • DO make sure everyone’s out of the house
  • DO turn off your gas supply at the isolation tap, if you know where it is (turn the handle so that it’s at a right-angle to the pipework to switch it off)
  • DON’T switch appliances on or off
  • DON’T light matches, cigarettes, or candles
  • DON’T return to the house for pets
  • DON’T go into the basement / loft
  • DON’T use light switches, doorbells, mobile phones, or other switches

Any of the following could indicate a potential gas emergency:

  • Gas Leak – you might smell gas, or hear hissing
  • Appliance Fire / Explosion – fires and explosions are treated very seriously
  • Unable to turn an appliance off – this can result in gas building up in your house
  • Loss of Supply – being unable to turn on gas central heating or gas ovens can feel like an emergency, especially when there are children or elderly people in the house
  • Damaged or Stolen Meter – meters may be vandalised, damaged, or even stolen from unsecure areas; this can cause a leak, and is treated as a very serious matter
  • Carbon Monoxide poisoning